Monday, April 11, 2011

Passover Chicken Soup!

My most popular soup! I make this chicken & veggie soup all year round, and everyone loves it- especially the kids. One serving is really a hearty meal filled with delicious veggies, chicken, and sometimes I throw in some noodles or matzo balls. It's easy to prepare, and I always make a huge batch and then freeze it in smaller portions, so I have an all-in-one meal to serve whenever I need it.
Here's how to do it:
Peel 3 small onions, peel 5 carrots, peel and cube 1 butternut squash, clean 1 cup of dill.
Tighlty wrap the dill in cheesecloth (I do this so that the dill peices don't float in the soup, but its optional).
Place 6-10 clean chicken legs in a large stock pot.
Add the veggies and dill into the pot.
Cover with cold water.
Place the pot, uncovered, on a burner over high heat.
Bring to a boil, cover the pot and cook for 1 hour.
After an hour or so, ( a little more or less won't matter)
uncover the pot, and use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken from the pot; let the chicken cool.
 Meanwhile, use a potato masher to mash up all the veggies in the soup pot (if you prefer the veggies chunky, then just mash a couple of times, if you prefer the veggies pureed, then mash a little more!)
Once the chicken is cool, remove the skin and bones, and return the chicken meat to the pot.
Bring the soup to boil once again, and boil over medium heat, uncovered for about 30 minutes to thicken. 
Season with lots of salt and pepper.
Enjoy!
Makes about 10-12 servings.


2 comments:

  1. looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome! I also put butternut squash in my chicken soup! I started that a few months ago. it's the best!

    ReplyDelete