Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Decomposed S'mores- The Ultimate Dessert


I really wish that I could seriously take credit for this idea. But, I can't. This is the most perfect, delicious, quirky dessert- I fell in love with it even before I could dig my spoon in. I love the new, individual, bite-sized approach to food. I think it's really neat to go to a party and be handed tuna tartare in individual spoons, gazpacho in shot glasses, or seared meat on mini plates...So, why not attempt it with desserts? My cousin Natou did last week- handing each one of us an individual decomposed lemon meringue pie, each nestled in its own deliciously-mini glass jar, with matching lid....to die for. Let me just say that it's one thing if the dessert looks unbelievably delicious, but it's a whole other ballgame when it actually tastes as good as it looks. Right? Well, these babies do. Here is my adapted version of this delightful dessert- in place of lemon curd, I 've used chocolate filling to create the Decomposed S'more.

Decomposed S'mores
12 miniature individual desserts
You will need 12 individual dishes, such as: mini glass jars, shot glasses, small bowls, between 3-4 ounces each. I found these at the dollar store!

1 package chocolate pudding or pie filling mix
1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
about 1 cup marshmallow 'Fluff'

Begin by preparing the pudding according to package instructions, and refrigerating until cooled and completely firm. (This step may need to be prepared several hours in advance).
Next, combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and combine using your hands. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven, and bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool. You will end up having a lot more graham cracker crumbs than you need for this recipe, but once they are all toasty and golden, I like to store them in a large Ziplock bag so that they are ready to go next time I want to prepare this receipe- one less step to prepare. Now, it's time to assemble. Fill the individual dishes halfway with the pudding, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs over the chocolate, and carefully top with a tablespoon of Fluff. Cover the dishes (if they don't come with cpas, use plastic wrap) and refrigerate until ready to serve. Your crowd will go crazy.
By the way, if chocolate is not your thing, be creative and replace with vanilla or coconut pudding, or you can try it with lemon or lime curd as well. Have fun with it.
p.s. you can make it parve with margarine
combine the graham crumbs, sugar, flour, salt & butter
bake until golden
fill individual dish halfway with chocolate pudding
top with graham cracker crumbs


I fill a ziplock bag with marshmallow fluff & snip off the tip
squeeze to fill until the top


3 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm I want one. They sound delicious. Come back home single!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, They look amazing. I love the jars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made them this weekend, they were amazing! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete