Thursday, September 22, 2011

Homemade Pita Chips

My friends are always popping in to say hello and have a drink...This is a great recipe for a quick, 5 minute appetizer. I serve these toasty, salty pita chips alongside chummus and guacamole. I simply top the pitas with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of za'atar before toasting them in a hot oven. Za'atar is a Middle Eastern spice blend that I tend to use a lot in my cooking because of its sharp, nutty flavor. Za'atar is a combination of basil, oregano, thyme, and savory, sumac, along with toasted sesame seeds and salt. This spice works so well on the toasted pita because it lends to any flavor you may be pairing it with. This is a perfect example of a time when homemade just completely crushes the store bought variety...I keep bags of pita in my freezer just in case I need to quickly whip these up- everyone seems to love them, even the kids! Light, crisp and delicious- also a great accompaniment to wine and cheese.
Homemade Pita Chips
4 pitas, split through the edges so that each pita is cut into 2 rounds
1/4 cup good olive oil
1-2 tablespoons za'atar

Preheat the oven 375. Drizzle the olive oil over the pita rounds and sprinkle the za'atar over. Bake for about 5 minutes, watch them closely as they burn quickly. Remove from oven and cool. Break into smaller pieces and serves. These pita chips can keep in a ziplock bag for one week.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the good recipes I've never made pita bread it's good

    ReplyDelete